Re: Template Rule Conflict Resolution

Subject: Re: Template Rule Conflict Resolution
From: Tyler Baker <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:15:18 -0500
Paul Spencer wrote:

> Can anyone here throw any light on why the specificity section of
> conflict resolution (2.5.1) has been removed and whether it is likely to
> return in any form?

I think it makes much more sense to specify priority manually now when
designing the stylesheets since the pattern matching facilities no longer
use qualifiers, but can instead contain OrExpressions with nested
expressions inside each BooleanGroupExpression.  In the new draft counting
boolean expressions and their nested boolean expressions as pattern
components I think just no longer makes sense.

Also in the old draft, specificity was considered before priority which I
think was a mistake.  I think that priority should of been considered
first.  If specificity is added back into the draft for some reason, I think
that in Template Conflict Rule Resolution, priority should have a greater
weight than specificity.

Tyler