Re: writing entity references.

Subject: Re: writing entity references.
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:59:47 GMT
>   I guess the answer is "post-process". Define an entity InvsibleApply
> and have it expand to something like ##InvisibleApply##
>  ... then s/##(\w+)##/\&$1/

That would work in some situations, but it's no fun is it:-)
I could write the whole transformation in perl (or even in TeX)
but the aim of the game at the moment is to see whether I can write it
in XSL (either a current or future draft).

In particular, long term, I'd like to see a situation where the browser
had integrated XSL support along with support for math formatting
objects. Then a stylesheet needs to do any transformations that it needs
completely, without having any chance to post-process. (Although there
may of course be some hook to some scripting language somewhere, as
discussed on this list at some length previously..) In this case
the particular problem of writing explicit XML entities goes away
as you would be transforming to formating object tree rather than to
presentation mml, but still this is the main reason I want to see how
far I can get in a `pure' xsl transformation.

David