Re: More entity confusion and my opinion on the right way

Subject: Re: More entity confusion and my opinion on the right way
From: Keith Visco <kvisco@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 11:28:21 -0500
Paul,

 What would I do without you? :-) Now I have a question on this, and
perhaps I have misunderstood the CDATA section (2.4 of XML rec).

 2.4 of the XML rec states...

 ---
 The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) may appear
in their literal form only when used
 as markup delimiters, or within a comment, a processing instruction,
or  a CDATA section.

 ----

since the & can appear in the literal form, shouldn't it remain in the
literal form when it is written back out from the result tree? I can
understand replacing the standard entities, but an entity not declared
should be left alone if it appears in a CDATA section, right?

IBM's XML for Java (1.1.4) has this behavior this even when I have the
expand entity references flag set to true.

Thanks,

--Keith

certainly