Re: Producing multiple result files

Subject: Re: Producing multiple result files
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 15:37:19 +0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Tyler Baker <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>The implementation a group of people I consult with currently use involves
>caching the stylesheet in-memory and sometimes caching the source tree as
>well.  Since the stylesheets are for the most part static, you simply run
the
>XSL Processor several different times using the same source tree, but using
>different stylesheets (since the object representation of the stylesheet
which
>may be a DOM tree is stored in memory, you do not need to waste time
reparsing
>it).

[...]
>Is this what you are talking about or else am I confused with what you mean
by
>producing "multiple result files"?

Yes, this is the idea, although I would like to be able to do it with a
single stylesheet.

Imagine you had an XML document

<document>
  <section name="sec1">
  </section>
  <section name="sec2">
  </section>
  <section name="sec3">
  </section>
</document>

I'd like to be able to produce 3 separate HTML files from this one document.
Now it *is* possible to have three separate stylesheets to do this, but I'd
prefer to have one.

What I'd like is to be able to say something like

<xsl:template match="section">
  <xsl:result-file filename="{@name}.html">
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </xsl:result-file>
</xsl:template>

with each result-file in the result tree being serialisable to a different
file given by its filename attribute.

Or something equivalent, anyway.

IOW, one XML source document, one XSL stylesheet, multiple HTML (or whatever
vocab) documents.

James