Re: Understanding character handling

Subject: Re: Understanding character handling
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:30:15 GMT
> yes - but what a lot of people are forgetting is that EVENTUALLY! these
> documents will have to be produced by humans who have no idea what &#160;
> is,

But we are talking of what comes out, not what goes in.
You can use &nbsp; or &callitwhatyoulike; in your input document, and
also in your stylesheet so long as the entities are declared in
appropriate places. The question is what comes out in the result tree.

The current status appears to be that what comes out depends on what
system you use, and the depressing part is that the whole set up seems
sufficiently under specified that all these systems can claim to be
correct.

David