XSL and HTML

Subject: XSL and HTML
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:34:20 -0600
Guy claims that if XML does not directly support HTML developers will "do
their own thing" and that will hurt XSL and the W3C. The only problem with
that theory is that "doing their own thing" is exactly what the W3C would
recommend you do for server-side translations. They don't claim to be in
the server-application building standards business and XSL is not intended
to be a replacement for ASP. If Microsoft makes a proprietary tool for
doing XML->HTML translations, more power to them! The W3C is in the
business of promoting on-the-wire interoperability, not in the business of
competing with software vendors.

Comparisons to the frames issue is not relevant. Frames are distributed on
the wire. ASP is not.

On the wire, translating to HTML+JavaScript makes no sense. Sure, we need
interactivity, but generating Javascript code is not an intelligent way to
do it. Since the W3C's mandate is to build a robust information system for
the future, I expect that they will continue to keep their priorities
clear.
 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"I want to give beauty pageants the respectability they deserve."
            - Brooke Ross, Miss Canada International