Re: GOTCHA!

Subject: Re: GOTCHA!
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:15:07 +0200
From: Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > "My dear lady, you can pass any laws you like. If they are reasonable,
I'll
> > obey them. If not, I'll ignore them."
> >     (from "The moon is a hash mistress")
>
>Robert Heinlein is not someone whose views I would think any one
>wanted to quote in some sense of admiration (though I suspect this book
>is tongue in cheek even by *his* standards of lack of humour). IMHO,
>of course.

Oh, I think Heinlein had his admirable points. The one above applies to his
views as well - its part of its beauty :-)

>I'm with David C --- this W3C bashing is boring and meaningless. The W3C
>as an organisation which employs primarily coordinators, not developers.
The
>development of XSL is done (mostly) by experts whose time is donated by
their
>employers. You are in danger of implying "I am just jealous 'cos
>no-one invited me to join as an invited expert" :-}

I hardly expect anyone to consider me an expert on XSL. I appreciate the
time and effort the W3C people are placing into these standards. Some of the
issues they are dealing with are deep and difficult and I'm perfectly happy
with not having the responsibility for them.

I believe however that the input of non-expert users who are actually using
the standard, sometimes in unforseen ways, should also carry some weight. I
believe that this is the W3C position as well, as indicated by some of the
enhancements they made in the second draft of the standard. They could be a
bit more open about it, though. I think this is the source for most of this
unnecessary "bashing".

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki