RE: Feature Request: equivalent to DSSSL read-entity function

Subject: RE: Feature Request: equivalent to DSSSL read-entity function
From: "Borden, Jonathan" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:00:18 -0500
Paul Prescod wrote:

> "Borden, Jonathan" wrote:
> >
> > Let me add to this,
> >
> > what would be even better would be the ability to inject this external
> > entity into the *source* XML tree for processing.
>
> How would this be better?
>
> > This would allow the
> > important ability to merge several XML documents together into an output
> > document.
>
> You can do this without modifying the source tree. All you need is:
>
> <process-xml-document-node href="...">

	When I say "inject" I'm not distinguishing between a physical injection
(i.e how the processor is implemented) and a functional injection (how the
processor behaves). The behavior I (very much) want to achieve is to allow
an external document to be processed *as if* its tree appeared within the
source document. Moreover, I would like to programmatically create the href

	<xsl:process-xml-document>http://wherever/foo?arg=<xsl:value-of "@arg" />
	</xsl:process-xml-document>

> Processing a node in another XML document is conceptually no different
> than processing one in the current document. You don't need to merge the
> trees to have access to both.

	Agreed. I just care what the input(s) and output looks like.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net