Dynamic source components

Subject: Dynamic source components
From: Chris Tomlinson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:33:44 -0600
Is there any intent that XSL (including the filter extensions in XT) be
able to handle source documents that have markup intended to perform
dynamic generation of a portion of the content. What I mean is something
like the following:

<doc>
  <title>List of items</title>
  <!-- produce the items via a query -->
  <query id="query-1" db="accts-payable" sql="select acct-title, amt
from accounts where ..."/>
</doc>

Having written a small prototype of an xml application that provides for
serving up content on the web via a servlet I see that I had to
implement many of the features of XSL and will have to implement more of
the XSL features to get the web template processor up to a reasonable
level of functionality.

It seemed to me that if I could understand how to arrange for either xml
or (preferrably) dom to be generated on the fly and before invoking XSL
templates then that would allow for arbitrary dynamic content production
and all the power of XSL without reinventing/reimplementing the same
features in another application.

I suggested dom above since it would not likely be as efficient to
literally materialize xml as it would be to have a dom wrapper on a data
structure resulting from some external dynamic content creation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and ciao,
Christine Tomlinson