RE: About the style processing instruction

Subject: RE: About the style processing instruction
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:16:54 -0500
Hi Matthieu

<YourComment>
You've find the expression I was searching. In fact, I want to give the
specification of the back end by translating the FOs with specs given
into the XSL ss.
I describe the process:

              Author ss           Backend specific ss
XML document ----------> FO document  -------> Document

The "Backend specific ss" would be able, through PIs, to translate FOs
into the media selected.

The selection of the output media would be selected by a second pass
process with a specific XSL ss which correspond to this media.

<Reply>
Actual CSS2 specs (which I should say is of excellent quality) provide a
mechanism to specify the media type inside a stylesheet. So maybe the thing
to do would be to allow XSL and dsssl style sheets to contain PIs specifying
the media type like in the following example:
<?xsl:media="screen,application/tex"?> (I used Oren suggestion here). I
guess that in this case we can use the xsl name space. For dsssl that would
be <?media="screen,application/tex">.
So tell me if I am right or wrong.
The XML document tell to the document interpreter where is located the style
sheet used to render it.
<Question>
In your approach, does the XML document specify only one style sheet or
specify a set of style sheets, one for each media?
<Question>
Do you mean that the XML document specify one or several style sheets but
each style sheet specify its own media type?
<Issue>
To define a set of style sheets specified up front in the XML document is
useful for a document interpreter (ex: a browser) because it can from this
list construct a rendering selection device (ex: a context menu) to allow
the user to choose a particular operation and have this operation (i.e.
selection) associated to a particular style sheet. For example, the default
operation would be "display on the screen" but a menu allows the operation
"print" which uses an other style sheet.
When then have to include the list of PI in the XML document. If the media
property is included in the XML PIs the browser has to parse the PIs anyway,
so if the PI contains the media property, the association with rendering
device and operation is completed. Otherwise further processing is required
in the style sheet. However, having the media property may have the
advantage to de-couple the rendering device from the original PI.
<Conclusion>
I guess the best thing would be to have both mechanism. a) the XML PI can
include the media property b) or the XML PI only contain the style sheet
location and type and a style sheet PI provide the media.

What do you think?

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx