Re: About the style processing instruction

Subject: Re: About the style processing instruction
From: Paul Fidler <praf1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:29:31 +0000 (GMT)
> [Paul Fidler]
> > A browser will look for a Link/pi with media="print" when the user
> > hits the print button... [snip]

[Chris]
> But what if I have some print and some on-line rules in the same
> stylesheet?  Surely not unthinkable, since most properties will be the
> same for both media.  This is why CSS provides the @media rules *in*
> the stylesheet, and why XSL has an open issue about how best to
> provide this functionality.  Don't re-invent the wheel.

Sorry. I thought I was simply describing the current situation and my
interpretation of what the media attribute was for. I certainly wasn't
trying to re-invent anything.

I would have thought that if you have two radically different stylesheets
for screen and print, then using two stylesheet links with appropriate
media attributes decribing them would be sensible.

If on the other hand  your style style language supports different media
directly (via @media of something like <xsl:template match="a" media="b">)
and you only want minor differences in your output for different media,
then you only need the one stylesheet PI and you needn't bother with a
media attribute since your one stylesheet does it all.

Anyway, I'll shut up now.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Paul Fidler
--
Cambridge University Engineering Department
Trumpington Street, Cambridge, CB2 1PZ, UK