Venting 2

Subject: Venting 2
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 23:41:24 -0600
I think Chris Lilley said it best:

"There are very few XSL processors, and only one that I am aware of which
tries to implement the whole style sheet spec rather than using parts of a
style sheet spec as a non-style-sheet, which is what all the others do."

Anyhow my real point for this second venting is that the fact that the
formatting language is not officially specified *as a language* means that
tools like FOP are in a standardization grey zone. They take in a language
implicitly, not explicitly described in XSL and convert it into a
rendition.

Practically speaking we can infer a correct behavior for the
specification, but technically speaking there is no provision for the FO
output of an XSL processor being the input for any other type of software.
That software has no official standing.
 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did,
but she did it backwards and in high heels."
                                               --Faith Whittlesey