MS patents style sheets

Subject: MS patents style sheets
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 14:18:00 -0500
How's this one?  Picked it up from another mailing list, which cited the 4
February 1999 Seybold Report:

>In January, the U.S. Patent Office awarded Microsoft a patent
>that could have a major impact on Web standards....We're not
>sure yet just how much of the CSS and XSL recommendations might
>be covered under Microsoft's patent or whether the patent
>will have any direct effect on how vendors and developers
>implement the standards.

Don't know how much more I can report without infringing Seybold too
horribly.  They have ties to XML.com, so we may see a story come out of
there soon.  If you have access to the report, track it down, and if you
don't, order it as a back issue.  It's a good story.

Elliotte Rusty Harold's Cafe Con Leche (http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/) picked
it up, and has a pointer to the patent:

http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US05860073__&language=en

Rumor also has it that the Web Standards Project will have some comments
soon: http://www.webstandards.org/.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (March)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com