An other example of a domain language and implication to XSL

Subject: An other example of a domain language and implication to XSL
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:12:26 -0500
HI,

Actually, ISO is working on a spec called "Topic maps" I can say that this
is well done and fulfill a certain need. At the same time W3C is working on
something similar named RDF and this too is well done and fulfill a certain
need.

 Now the problem statement:

Let's say that we have a XML compliant document and a SGML document without
omitag and that can fit in the "well formed" qualifier (and therefore could
be considered a xml document without the xml PI). One of these document
contains ISO 13250 "topic maps" and the other one W3C RDF. On one side I
have a ISO 13250 compliant browser and on the other side a RDF compliant
browser. Without a transformation language, the two files could be
interpreted only on _one_ browser.

Now, if I have a XSL script that can transform RDF into ISO 13250 format and
vise versa, files could be interpreted on both browsers.

Funny thing about this: both files are standard compliant but based on two
different standard organism. See, even with standard organism we need
inter-operability (and this time the cause is not the evil empire :-). XSL
can fulfill a need to transform documents so that the documents could be
interpreted by diverse _standard_ _compliant_ tools_.

Domain language diversity wont solely be created by manufacturers but also
by standard institutions. A transformation language is a tool given to users
to gain inter-operability.

Hope this will help broaden the horizons.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com