Fw: Splitting XSL

Subject: Fw: Splitting XSL
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:23:30 +0200
Didier PH Martin <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>... I am trying to use XSL to make tranformation from a domain
>language to an other (as long as the two domain languages are based on XML
>or have a similar struture (i.e SGML without omitags) and that the two
>languages cover the same domain. Obviously the two language would have a
>different DTD. Actuals test are made on XUL and BML, RDF and ISO 13250
topic
>maps. But its too soon to publish anything yet, I just started this
>experiment.

I was referring not to a tool using of XSL to convert from one language to
another (a "converter" tool), but to a "verifier" tool - one which would
take as input an XSL stylesheet, an input document DTD and an output
document DTD, and would verify that for all documents which are valid under
the input DTD, the results of applying the XSL stylesheet would be valid
under the output DTD.

The theoretical possibility of such a verifier tool was mentioned in this
list - for example, adding scripting capabilities would prevent it from
being possible. I never heard of anyone who is actually working on such a
tool, though. It would be highly useful when  developing converters, of
course, but it would also be very useful for verifying "normal" XSL
stylesheets. Here's where it gets interesting - what are the names of the
two DTDs for the "normal" case? XTL and XFL, perhaps :-)

Share & Enjoy,

    Oren Ben-Kiki