Re: CSS and XSL

Subject: Re: CSS and XSL
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:13:56 -0500
At 11:30 AM 2/12/99 -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:
>To me, the biggest problem with CSS as an XSL target is the "style"
>attribute. It is logical and convenient from an XML point of view to have
>all style properties be separate attributes that can be shared and
>overriden separately. I am sorry to see that the new vector graphics
>standard chooses not to recast CSS styles in a more XML-friendly syntax.

It's not too late to change CSS.  One proposal for doing so and making it
more XML-friendly was put forward in http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-XSL-and-CSS,
and certainly signaled a willingness to accomodate XML.  (No, it didn't
include breaking up the style attribute.)  It might not be so difficult to
find a way around this - using architectual forms or namespaces or some
other mechanism, though it could make for some large and ugly DTDs.

I was quite happy to see that SVG uses CSS as its style vocabulary,
personally.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (April)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com