Re: CSS and XSL

Subject: Re: CSS and XSL
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:51:35 -0500
At 10:12 AM 2/13/99 -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:

>I complained that the problem with CSS *as an XSL
>target* is the basic paradigm of using a single attribute for style
>application. That note shows how to use CSS as an XSL target where each
>property is broken out into its own attribute. If SVG had followed that
>document's lead then SVG would be a reasonable output format from XSL.

If XSL can't deal with the style attribute, then maybe the XSL WG should
put some serious thought into how better to handle it.  As much as I like
atomization, being able to put style information into a single attribute
for handling by a CSS interpreter  - rather than cluttering my documents
and likely my DTDs with an incredible profusion of normally unused style
attributes - is convenient and usually downright sensible.

You're demanding that everything (CSS, SVG, etc.) come over to XSL, without
much talk of accomodating the older (and useful) ways.  It may be
revolutionary, but it's also (I think) counterproductive and not a good way
to make friends.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (April)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com