Fw: Heretical view

Subject: Fw: Heretical view
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:37:55 +0200
Scott Ferguson <ferg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>How about this translation of css?
>
><css:stylesheet>
>
><css:rule match=[XSL_match_pattern]
>  [css_attributes]
>  />
>
><css:media type='print'>
>  [css_rules]
></css:media>
>
></css:stylesheet>
>
>Where [XSL_match_pattern] is an XSL match pattern and [css_attributes] are
exactly the
>attributes in the css spec.
>
>XSL match pattern has the following extensions:
>
>OtherMatchExpr ::= PredicateExpr
>
>PredicateExpr ::= link()
>                | visited()
>                | active()
>                | hover()
>                | focus()
>                | lang(c)
>                | is-id(constant)

And most importantly, a standard DOM access to the stylesheet:
'document.stylesheets.mySheet.topicRule.bg_color = "green"'. Yes, that's
exactly what I had in mind. Just one note: I'd be weary of adding via this
syntax features which aren't available in today's CSS stylesheets. It would
make sense to specify that for level 1.0 of XML-CSS, only XSL patterns which
have an equivalent CSS syntax are required. Level 2 would require full XSL
patterns. This would alow any browser implementer to trivially add level 1
XML-CSS support.

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki