RE: CSS and XSL

Subject: RE: CSS and XSL
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:06:59 -0500
HI Don,

<YourComment>
I would like us to keep our focus on the subject of splitting the XSL spec
into XTL and XFO.  Discussion of the XSS issues should be moved to CSS
mailing list especially because it will meet more resistance there.  Trial
by fire will bare the true merit of the proposal.
</YourComment>

<Reply>
The problem is that advocating XML CSS (I guess this is what you call XSS?)
in the CSS group is like promoting to american people to change their
national language to a new language ;-) We should not forget that CSS is a
language with its own syntax and way of expressing things.

The new thread is more about finding a consistant way to express the
relationship between rendition objects and their respective property set.
the XSL "transformation" module can produce XML. If, for example, voyager or
its next version, provide a consistant way to express the relationship of
its objects and their associated property sets, we will have gained in
clarity and coherence in the overall XML construct. It remains that CSS
could still exist as a language and even evolve like should do DSSSL and
that both communities built around these language will keep all the
necessary vitality to have their language evolve. But we have also, the
opportunity to have XML eveolve the right way. XSL "transformation" module
because it has to deal with HTML (or the next XML version named voyager) or
SVG as formatting object is perhaps more "sensible" to having these
rendition languages coherent and more "in tune" with the overall XML
philosophy of having a simpler SGML and a single syntax to express document
structure (and therefore simpler document parsers). Otherwise, XML rendition
languages may suffer from a sizoid personnality. The point is:
Is it more wisdom to force a retrofit of CSS into the XML(voyager) rendition
objects or have a more coherent model (I guess that we don't have any choice
for version 1 because of the legacy, but we can work toward that). For SVG,
there is no legacy and, in this case, we can expect a more coherent model
independant of CSS (just keep the concepts not the syntax).
</Reply>

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx