Re: Practical XSL

Subject: Re: Practical XSL
From: Keith Visco <kvisco@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:13:27 -0500
I agree with Mark on this issue. We are heavily using XSL on many
projects. We have successfully deployed to our Intranet applications
using XML and XSL technologies. We have about 5000 employees accessing
our Intranet. One of our applications is an interface to our corporate
LDAP directory server. It gets on average 20-30 requests (directory
lookups) per minute. I our system can handle a load of approx 160
requests per minute depending on the queries being run against the
directory server and the amount of data being returned.

We convert the data from the directory server to XML on the fly and then
use XSL stylesheets to translate the XML data to well formed HTML. We
also can return just the XML so that other applications can get the XML
stream and format it anyway they see fit.

We can then change the look and feel by simply changing the XSL
stylesheets.
We have some applications written using the proposal version of XSL. We
have some written in using the latest spec. There is nothing that states
we need to update these applications when XSL changes. Of course it is
our goal to stay current. But we have something working...and it's easy
to maintain.

As XSL changes we will update the Stylesheets when we are ready to do
so. And as mark mentioned you can devise a stylesheet to "transform" the
existing one into the new one. Since of course XSL is an XML application
so the existing stylesheets are XML documents. The only issue is
transforming extensibility mechanisms like script. So some things are
left to do by hand. That is a tradeoff for using a new up and coming
standard.

Performance is an issue. We have 3 different XSL processors that we are
using..one for each version of the spec. The processor we have for the
proposal version is fairly quick. In implementing my current XSL
processor (XSL:P) I first focused on functionality. I am now starting to
look at performance and will continue to optimize it for both speed and
memory utilization.

Since our applications are already in place it only takes a second to
pop in a new version of an XSL processor, so as performance of XSL
processors and XML parsers increase then so can the performance of the
applications that depend on them.

There are things you can do to speed up the stylesheets. For example
using <xsl:for-each select="foo"> is faster in XSL:P than using
<xsl:apply-templates selece="foo"> because in a for-each you are
essentially giving the processor the template to use, while in an
apply-templates you are asking the processor to find the appropriate
template to use.

It truly depends on each specific case to decide whether the tradeoffs
of using the current XSL WD and associated implementations are the right
choice for the given task at hand.

--Keith