Re: Fw: CSS and XSL

Subject: Re: Fw: CSS and XSL
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:38:41 -0600
Chris Lilley wrote:

> > Why? the whole idea is to maintain the style data in one place and have it
> > effect various parts of the XML tree, _not_ to open the style sheets up and
> > distribute their attributes all over the tree.
>
> I agree that is a much better idea. Again, recall I was not proposing
> this, just showing that it was not a good idea. I am actually pleased
> you didn't like it; I didn't either.

Could you please give an example of an SVG documents where the
presentational data is abstracted away from the content? The best you can
do is *reuse style*. You cannot remove it and depend on underlying
semantics. There are none.

Amost every element and attribute in an SVG document is stylistic. The
design principles that applied to HTML do not all apply to a language with
a radically different purpose. In particular the idea of "separation of
content and formatting" is no longer possible nor reasonable. As a W3C
member pointed out to me recently SVG's goals (and design) are much more
comparable to PDF than to HTML.
 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Intel has a big bull's-eye on its forehead because everyone is gunning
for it. But they have to be as nimble and aggressive as they were when
they were a small company," Mr. Howe said. "It's easy to be nimble when
you're a $5-billion company, it's a whole other thing when you're a
$40-billion company."
    - http://www.globeandmail.ca/gam/ROB/19990217/RPENT.html