Re: Complex XSL Application (I think)

Subject: Re: Complex XSL Application (I think)
From: James Robertson <jamesr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:14:39 +1000
At 14:01 25/02/1999 , Wendy Cameron wrote:

  | > Instead, have you considered using a simple server-side
  | > script that trawls through the XML, and generates an
  | > HTML page containing the results?

  | Yes we most definitely have considered this option and yes we
  | will use those technologies if necessary.
  |
  | However this may suggest we should revert back to older archiving
  | technologies at least until XML and XSL mature.

Not at all!

XML is a wonderful tool for this sort of work. It terms
of data storage it is extremely handy. For example, in
a previous job, I wrote code to generate 50,000+ pages
of HTML from SGML. Worked like a charm.

I'm just suggesting that the simplest solution would
be to not involve the client in the XML side of things.

  | (BTW im not the boss!!!! The boss wants to use XSL if possible)
  | Reasoning behind use of XSL
  | Its off the shelf

Well ... there are a few very earlier implementations
of XSL. _None_ are complete.

Also, XSL is a language, not an application. You have
to program in it.

There are quite a few actual applications designed to
take SGML/XML and create HTML. XSL is not one of them.

  | We dont have to generate and maintain our own code

In XSL you have to do exactly that. After all, it's
a language.

  | Its hoped once learned it would be simpler

Perhaps. But this has yet to be proven.

  | XSL might be techonology that stands the test of time

Who knows? (See the long discussions re: CSS vs XSL for
some ideas about other futures.)

  | Ohh Shucks I dont know?

Fair enough. ;-)

I guess there is the "gee-whiz" factor involved.
Although whether this is the basis of good business
decision-making ...

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy