RE: Non-XML XSL output

Subject: RE: Non-XML XSL output
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:47:25 -0500

> It seems pretty simple to convert a tree representation of style
> properties, say
>
> rect
> 	css:fill="red"
> 	css:fill-opacity="20%"
>
> into:
>
> <rect style="fill: red; fill-opacity:20%;"/>
>
> instead of just
>
> <rect css:fill="red" css:fill-opacity="20%"/>
>
> It also seems like it might be reasonable to support this for other
> formats, including HTML.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely result-ns
> of http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40 doesn't provide any support for these
> kinds of output, as far as I can tell.  A processor fed a result-ns value
> of http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-SVG might know to do it, but we have no way of
> telling it to do it or knowing whether it could do it.

	Another way to accomplish this is to create an CSS and or FO -> SVG
stylesheet.

	Generation of this type of style attribute would be facilitated if string
manipulation facilities were added to XSL, otherwise how to transform a tag
name such as "css:fill" into "fill" as part of an attribute string.

	Currently there is no real ability to extract substrings, search strings or
match regexps unless we escape to javascript and even then it gets a bit
hairy in XSL.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net