XHTML (WAS: Re: no xmlns attribute in the xsl dtd?)

Subject: XHTML (WAS: Re: no xmlns attribute in the xsl dtd?)
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:21:12 -0500
At 11:24 AM 3/2/99 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
>"Mark D. Anderson" wrote:
>> [attribution lost wrote]:
>> >furthermore, it is not clear how you would validate your document anyway
>> >given that it includes names from the HTML 4.0 vocabulary as well as those
>> >from the XSL vocabulary. The DTD in the spec only covers the latter which,
>> >in effect, means it cannot be used to validate a stylesheet.
>>
>> so much for my next question, which is what to do about all those other
errors :).
>> c:/software/sp-1.3/bin/nsgmls:html.xsl:10:5:E: element "html" undefined
>> c:/software/sp-1.3/bin/nsgmls:html.xsl:10:11:E: element "head" undefined
>> c:/software/sp-1.3/bin/nsgmls:html.xsl:10:18:E: element "title" undefined
>>
>> so is there a solution here?
>
>You could, if you were brave, write a merged DTD which included the XSL
>DTD and the XHTML DTD and treated the namespace prefixes opaquely. Then,
>as long as you don't use namespace defaulting and always use the same
>namespace prefix, you can validate using traditional tools.

I noticed that the XHTML WD (19990224) specifies that all elements must be
in lowercase. This made sense -- since XML is case-sensitive, the WG had to
pick either upper or lower -- but it also made me curious about something:
How, in an SGML DTD, does one specify that the case of a given tag is not
significant?

(Please forgive the non-XSL question.)