Re: Parse XML to PDF, RTF or HTML ( or anything else !!!)

Subject: Re: Parse XML to PDF, RTF or HTML ( or anything else !!!)
From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Mar 1999 10:09:20 +0100
Hi again, Thomas, :)

* Thomas Weholt

| I`ve got a xml-project that uses the latest working-draft of the
| proposed xsl-standard and was wondering if there are any tools out
| there that can parse xml to preferrably PDF, possibly RTF or even
| HTML for further editing with a print-friendly format in mind as the
| final result.

Any XSL processor used with FOP would get you PDF.  TeXML could
probably also do it via pdftex.  For RTF I know of no other solution
than Jade (or writing something on your own).

As for HTML, any XSL processor should be capable of that.

(BTW: parsing simply means decoding a string of bytes into
higher-level constructs, so 'parse xml to PDF' isn't really correct
usage of the word parse.)

| I`m running both Windows98 and Linux, so tools on either of these
| platforms can be used, and stuff related to Python, Perl or Java are
| of special interest.

To the best of my knowledge, this list is exhaustive (although some
Perl tools that won't help you with this may be missing):

<URL:http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~larsga/linker/XMLtools.html>

--Lars M.