Re: fo:link-end-locator

Subject: Re: fo:link-end-locator
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:00:09 -0500 (EST)
[Elliotte Rusty Harold]
> I'm having some trouble understanding the fo:link-end-locator
> element in XSL. In particular is it a link itself or a link target?
> If the latter, is it supposed to behave like <A NAME="target"></A>
> in HTML?  And if so why does it have an href attribute?  Or is it
> perhaps some automatically replaced child of other elements?

This one I can answer.  The description changed weirdly between the
August and December drafts.  It is intended to be similar to <A NAME>,
and it did not originally have an href attribute.

The reason for this is threefold.  First, a link end does not
necessarily correspond to any element in the source document.  With an
XSL pattern capable of addressing link ends (which we do not yet
have), a link-end-locator FO can be created to serve as a link target
in the formatted document, with control over its placement and
properties.

Second, a link end in a formatted document may not correspond to any
XLink construct at all.  The decision that something should be the
target of a link may be a decision made in the stylesheet, for example
building links to a glossary dynamically.

And finally, a single point in a source document may be instantiated
in multiple places in a formatted document.  There is potential for
confusion in attempting to traverse a link to such a formatted
document.  It's possible (though not definite) that the link-end-
locator FO could play a role in disambiguating these situations.

-Chris