Re: DCOM is now open code

Subject: Re: DCOM is now open code
From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Mar 1999 13:45:54 +0100
* Didier PH Martin

| On January 25th, the Open Source finally announced that now the code
| for platforms other than Windows (Solaris, Digital Unix, etc...)is
| now available. Code snapshot (i.e. binaries) is free, source code is
| available with a fee for Open Source non members and free for Open
| Source members.

Hmmm. It does not appear to have received the Open Brand, judging by
the list at

<URL:http://www.opengroup.org/regproducts/company.htm>

nor can I find DCOM under:

<URL:http://www.opengroup.org/regproducts/> or
<URL:http://www.opengroup.org/press/titles.htm>

Do you have a precise URL?

Also, what you describe above does not meet the criteria for Open
Source outlined in

<URL:http://www.opensource.org/osd.html>

| Hope this will close the subject about DCOM as being a proprietary
| format and that now W3C will also include a DCOM IDL example for the
| DOM.

Well, even if the source for non-Windows DCOM implementations is made
available, DCOM itself remains proprietary, by virtue of being
controlled by Microsoft alone.

The CORBA 2.2 specification contains a mapping of IDL to MIDL and ODL
in chapters 16 and 17. However, I have a sneaking suspicion even
though this mapping is from February 1998 it is already out of date.
That in itself should be sufficient to explain why the W3C did not use
one of the Microsoft IDLs.

| For incredulous, go see by yourself at:
| http://www.opengroup.org
|
| Open Source is an institution like W3C with membership based on a fee.

The name is the Open _Group_, not Open Source.

--Lars M.