A newbie question...

Subject: A newbie question...
From: Sara Mitchell <smitchel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:30:11 -0800
This is probably a very beginning level question. I've been
working on a proof-of-concept project to take XML to HTML 4.0
using XSL and the LotusXSL processor.

I have a stylesheet that works, but I had to use a 'select'
at the root node in order to get any output, which confused
me. The template that is working is:

<xsl:template match="dhlhelp">
<xsl:apply-templates select="*"/>
</xsl:template>

where dhlhelp is the root node of the document.

My sense of confusion comes from the examples that I have seen in
the working draft and elsewhere which made me think that the
following template would work:

<xsl:template match="dhlhelp">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

If I use this second example, LotusXSL outputs the HTML Doctype
declaration, but no other fragment of the result tree comes out.
I've looked through the working draft and am now more confused
than I
was. (Confusion is not an unlikely state for me to be in :-)

Could someone please explain:

a) did I misunderstand the working draft and a 'select' is always
   required to instantiate the template and get a result
fragment?

b) or should the second example still get output?

Thanks,

Sara