Re: template matching.. display the data

Subject: Re: template matching.. display the data
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:09:31 -0500
At 02:19 PM 3/25/99 +1100, Marcus Carr wrote:
>Regardless of what the publisher wants/suggests/requires, there is no way of
>preventing users from doing stupid things. Is a user going to accept blame
for
>corrupting a database by incorrectly interpreting elements? What if the
structure
>of the data changes at the source but the owner of the stylesheets on the
client
>side isn't made aware of the changes? Who's fault is it then?

Marcus, this is certainly a valid concern. If your data are that sensitive
and open to malignant or ignorant misinterpretation, though, I'd suggest
that the Web (and related containing technologies, XML among them) is not
the place for them.

In the same vein, I can copy and paste the words of your message into any
other sequence than the one you originally posted, and place the results on
a website or (if so inclined) e-mail it to Al Gore over your signature.
Whose fault is it then?

Again, I believe your concern IS valid in certain "publishing" domains. It
just borders on the conspiracy-theory paranoid in THIS domain.