Re: Found a problem on IE5.0

Subject: Re: Found a problem on IE5.0
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:59:48 -0500 (EST)
Oliver Brand talks about /.

The root node is *not* the same as the document element.  The root
node contains the document element, the prolog, and other stuff.
Right now, there's no way to get to any of the other content of the
root node except the document element, but there may be later.

Here's why separating the two concepts is useful, something that it
bugs me that CSS doesn't currently have: in many document types,
multiple element types can serve as the document element.  For
instance, in DocBook, a <chapter> or an <appendix> might be the root.

In XSL, I can make a root rule that sets up the viewing context, and
rules for the chapter and the appendix that set up different
processing for them.  The root rule always fires, but what happens
inside it varies by what the document element type is.

-Chris