Re: Norwegian characters and XT

Subject: Re: Norwegian characters and XT
From: "Alistair MacDonald" <AlistairMacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:14:20 +0100

>>> <u970130@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/30 8:03 pm >>>
> I successfully used XT to create a html file from xml and xsl. The
> problem now is that the 3 special norwegian characters are not
> formatted correctly. I tried making a program that replaces these
> with the html-code for the corresponding character, like &oslash;
> and &#216;, but using &oslash; resulted in an errormessage like
> "reference to undefined entity &oslash;" from XT, and using &#216;
> instead didn`t solve the problem either.

The '&oslash;' undefined will be because your DTD doesn't define &oslash; I've taken to including the 3 Entity files from the Voyager DTD to get the values defined. (voyager is the XML reformulation of HTML, but the entities are fairly standard).

One of the problems that I have found when using XT to generate HTML is its desire to use ISO entity names rather than numbers wherever possible. I guess that this means HTML4 defines more entities than previous versions did, but it means that XT formatted files don't work correctly with Netscape which has only a very limited entity collection. I've got a version of the 'HTMLOutputHandler' (which I've "call" an HTML3.2 handler) which has all of the non-netscape supported entities commented out. That way, if you define the entities correctly in your DTD they will be rendered correctly on output - at least by BOTH netscape & IE)

Alistair