RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:40:05 -0500
HI Marcus,

<YourComment>
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I understood that IE5 does process
the
DTD, it just doesn't validate the instance. Under what circumstances is it
beneficial to process the DTD but then not apply the logic to the instance?
Is
processing the DTD not an overhead without benefit?
</YourComment>

<Reply>
you are right it parse the DTD from a syntactic point of view but do not
enforce the structural integrity of the document. It is faster to just parse
the DTD syntax than to enforce structural integrity. It takes the principle
that it will try to render the document even if a structural error is
present. So, rendition takes over integrity of the structure. This is
because the browser main purpose is to render.

However, when the same parser is used in a different context, structural
integrity may becomes a main constraint.
</Reply>

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx