Re: Simple Conditionals

Subject: Re: Simple Conditionals
From: Duane Nickull <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:02:13 -0700
James:

In the following example you gave in response to ______?'s question,
does the xsl spec make any distinction between double and single quotes
like other languages?

I tried something like this recently with xlink and jscript together
however, when I used single quotes, it didn't interpret the code.  When
I changed to double, it then processed the instructions and gave me the
result I wanted.

I looked for clarification in the spec but was unable to find it in the
xsl draft.  Because xsl is written using XML syntax, it should be no
different.  I could not find clarification in the XML W3 1.0

I also wish to comment that declaring

<script><xsl:comment><[CDATA]
-------some script

 also seems to have an effect on whether or not instructions get
interpreted or just written depending on single or double quotes.

> <template match='entry[@type="type1"]/body'>
> </template>

In this example, you obviously used a combination of single and double
quotes to achieve the correct quote nesting.  Since XML requires quotes
around value in any attribute name="value", what other tools are
available for someone wishing to nest sets of quotes in a scripting
language placed inside an actual XSL document?

We (www.cartnetwork.com) are currently working with dynamically
generated XML/XSL for E-commerce applications and we have several
hurdles to over come in the area of using a scripting language to
eventually validate form information before passing it along to db/xml.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks dude!!!!

Duane Nickull