Hybrid SGML/XML (was Re: Resolving ENTITY attributes)

Subject: Hybrid SGML/XML (was Re: Resolving ENTITY attributes)
From: Rick Geimer <rick.geimer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 09:23:18 -0700
I've used a hybrid XML/SGML strategy in several circumstances. The tools for
processing SGML are fairly robust and mature, while the XML tools and
standards are still in flux. Therefore, companies often have to "stradle the
fence" between the two standards, at least until all the XML standards are
firmly in place and enough tools are available to process XML in an
enterprise environment.

Support for this kind of application would enable companies to use their
existing tool sets, while building in support for the future. Hybrid SGML/XML
applications make compelling business cases, and should not be dismissed so
lightly.

Rick Geimer
National Semiconductor
rick.geimer@xxxxxxx