Re: docref example/explanation?

Subject: Re: docref example/explanation?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 19:28:33 -0400
At 99/05/03 13:52 -0700, Mark D. Anderson wrote:
>i'm completely at sea with doc() and docref() in the new spec.

Below is a page excerpted from the handouts of my XSLT tutorial next
Tuesday at WWW8 in Toronto.

I hope this helps.

......... Ken

p.s. since this isn't yet implemented anywhere, this is my interpretation
of the working draft ... but I think the working draft is sufficiently
detailed to determine that what I've described below is what is supposed to
happen

Module 10: Advanced Expressions and Transformation
Lesson 2: Cross Referencing Techniques

Document Referencing

For some applications, not all the information needed for the result tree
can be found in one source document.  For these applications it is
necessary to work with the node tree of remote documents, as well as the
source document being initially fed to the XSLT processor.

By using the XSLT document referencing functions in a stylesheet, a node
set can be obtained from another remote document as if that remote document
were treated as the initial source document:

	·	doc("") returns the root node of the stylesheet being executed
	·	doc(string argument) interprets the string as a URI pointing to a
document resource
		·	the URI may include a fragment identifier thus qualifying the node set
to be a particular subset of the remote document resource
	·	docref(node set) converts each of the members of the node set into
strings used as URI values pointing to document resources (as with a string
argument), and returns the union of the documents' node sets thus obtained

Once the node set is obtained from the remote document, it can be processed
as one would process any node set.

+//ISBN 1-894049::CSL::Courses::PFUX//DOCUMENT An Introduction to XSLT
1999-05-03 16:20//EN
Page 173
The Eighth International World Wide Web Conference
May 11, 1999
Copyright © Crane Softwrights Ltd.

http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com

--