RE: How to use ENTITY declarations and references?

Subject: RE: How to use ENTITY declarations and references?
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:36:08 -0600
> why are we told to use http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0 instead
> of http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xslt? Is this an oversight in the spec?
>
> Namespace URIs do not, in general, point to anything
> concrete. They are just arbitrarily assigned strings
> that are compared character for character.
> I consider it a design flaw to use something that
> looks so much like it should be dereferenced [...]

Thank you very much for this info. So the URI is an arbitrary string (so
long as it conforms to the URI RFC). You're right, it seems like there
should be a cleaner way to inform an XSL processor that it should expect to
follow the rules of XSLT.

These issues may seem inconsequential, but to a newbie looking at the
current specs, without being familiar with the previous drafts, it's easy to
get confused by the discrepancies among examples and how what seems to be
"right" for one parser causes another to choke.

Thanks again,

Mike