Re: [Fwd: Re: Language is not markup and markup is not language.]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Language is not markup and markup is not language.]
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 22:34:01 +0100 (BST)
> Can you write an XSL processor in XSL? If so, I would agree it's Turing
> complete; otherwise not.

it depends what you mean by `can' and `you'.
I think it's clear that XSL is turing complete. It's fairly hard to
design a language that has recursion and an if construct that is not.
If provoked I could probably implement a Turing Machine engine in XSL.
Using strings as tape.

Then in principle you just need to code up a TM emulation of a Java
virtual machine and encode the class files of XT in the language on your
tape, set the thing running, and come back in a year or two when it's
done.

David