Re: ISO-8859-1

Subject: Re: ISO-8859-1
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:02:30 -0400
At 11:56 AM 5/27/1999 +0200, Bovone Stefano wrote:
>If I have a XML document like this:
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
><text>Perché non funziona?</text>
>
>and I process it using a XSL formatter, why in the output is  the character
>"é" converted in &#130; ?
>
>How could I do  to have at the output of the process XML + XSL ---> XML
>again the character "é" instead of &#130; ?

It depends not only on the encoding declaration, but also on the namespace
of the result tree and what tool you're using to generate the result tree.
For instance, I think James Clark's xt makes automatic conversions like
this whenever you use it to transform XML into [X]HTML, i.e. use the
[X]HTML namespace for the result tree. This actually makes sense for that
namespace. I don't know, but would assume (hope?) that if you're using some
other namespace for the result tree, one which xt doesn't know about, it
would pass the é through unchanged.

If you're using some other transforming agent, like Microsoft's, perhaps
they're using the same kind of "intelligent" guesswork (just too
intelligent for its own good! :).