Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: "Scott S. Lawton" <ssl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:55:52 -0400
>The real challenge should be not what is within Michael Leventhal's ability,
>but what is within an ordinary stylesheet writer's ability. With XSL they
>get a certain amount of power and control within a fairly easy-to-understand
>setting. Almost everyone will be able to learn enough of it for their
>purposes; e.g. something like a client-generated table of contents should be
>within anyone's reach.

I agree that that's an interesting question; but IMHO, it's still very much
an *open* question.  Personally, I find XSL to be quite complicated.

I have not had the time to recode my XSL project in JavaScript/DOM so I
can't yet make a direct comparison.  However, I often missed exactly the
things that Michael Leventhal discusses, e.g. factoring code into
functions/subroutines.

Perhaps a "side effect free" subset of JavaScript plus any needed DOM and
CSS enhancements would prove to be easier to use and as robust/safe as
XSL's declarative approach.

cheers,

-- SSL, PreFab Software <http://www.prefab.com/>