Re: Is it possible to declare entities without a DTD

Subject: Re: Is it possible to declare entities without a DTD
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:31:40 -0400
At 10:42 AM 05/28/1999 +1000, Kent Fitch wrote:
>I tried declaring [entities] outside of the DTD without
>any success, but I don't really want to define
>a DTD for the document (just the entities it uses!)

There's really (yet) no way to define an entity without a DTD, and there's
no way to use an entity that's not defined -- except for the few specific
built-in ones available in well-formed documents. But you don't need an
external DTD subset; just use an internal one that does nothing but declare
entities.