RE: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: RE: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 12:30:39 +0200
Miles Sabin wrote:
"So, transformations are involved. In which case I
question your confidence that 'almost everyone will be
able to learn enough of it for their purposes'. It's not
that I doubt the _intelligence_ of (most importantly)
graphic designers, I just doubt that they'll have either
the time or the inclination to learn how to be
programmers."

Which means they're out of the scope of this discussion, since they won't be
inclined to learn either XSL or DOM+[a scripting language]. If
transformations are involved, there's no way around the need to learn one of
these techniques. Regardless of which is easier, an advantage of using XSL
to, for example, do client-side generation of toc's, is that you need *only*
an XSL script to generate the toc, display the page(s), and format them. The
alternative that Micheal Leventhal defends requires you to use DOM, a
scripting language (javascript, EMACS), and CSS.