Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: "Larry Fitzpatrick" <lef@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 14:05:46 -0400
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
> But then, non-programmers can learn programming too. What we really want is
> evidence that non-programmers can learn XSL more easily than they can learn
> (say) Javascript.

Don't you want evidence that non-programmers can learn XSL more easily than they
can learn (say) JavaScript (+whatever) sufficiently to do the document transformations
that they want? That is, the comparison must be task-based to keep it apples:apples.

In any case, isn't the discussion moot?  XSL(T) is being used, ergo it is useful.  Shouldn't
the discussion focus, independently, on how to make:
    (a) js+dom,
    (b) XSL(T)
easier to learn? Two tools in the toolbox, not one.

lef