Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: "Chuck White" <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:31:39 -0700
Chuck White
Creative Director
Advance Recruitment Advertising, Inc.
chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.advancerecruitment.com
 any views expressed in this or any other e-mail from this author are
strictly the author's and are not representative of Advance Recruitment
Advertising, Inc.or any of its clients.

Sara Mitchell wrote:

>There is one other issue that you're missing here -- will the
>non-programmer be as willing to learn JavaScript as XSL?

They've completely missed this. And i think the answer is a resounding no.
>This is probably dependent on the person and their background,
>but there is at least one really big point in favor of XSL
>over the programming/scripting laguages (at least in my
>opinion). In fact, I've heard it mentioned by programmers in
>this list for why XSL is so *hard* -- it relates rather
>naturally to how documents are structured. That might not make
>it simpler to learn for a graphic designer, but it does for
>writers (myself included).

Most graphic designers understand what a template is. XSL is intuitive to
designers. Scripting is not.