Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Tinney)
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 08:02:38 -0400 (EDT)
I second JamesT's point, having just been through a trajectory of
discovery over the last week or two in which I came to the same
conclusion.  I am building composite documents of various kinds from
datesets and text, and started off using XQL to select records, then soon
discovered that I needed just a little more (don't just select, but also
add a bit here, take away a bit there) and that using XSL was inevitable.

I am still learning about all these tools, but there is a lot of terrific
work being done out there.  As far as I can tell, there is still not
(quite) a full XSL implementation which can be fed DOM nodes from
arbitrary places in a document and return the results; SAXON is close,
and I guess will be the first to do this (correct me if I'm wrong).  XT
is embeddable, but I haven't looked hard enough at the source to
determine if it could easily work with DOM.  With that, and the
persistent DOM from GMD, dynamic document creation with low server
overhead will be relatively straightforward, and without the additional
layer of an SQL server.

 Steve