RE: Can solve the N-queens - but can't count!

Subject: RE: Can solve the N-queens - but can't count!
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:33:17 +0100
> - Allow applying match patterns to variables containing result tree
> fragments.

I'm not entirely sure what this would mean. Do you mean applying templates
to them?

What I would like to see is a multi-pass mechanism, so the XML output by one
stylesheet is input to another (possibly of course the same). Is this the
same as you are advocating?

I think it would be useful to the debate if someone could articulate the
reasons why stylesheets should be side-effect-free. (If the argument is the
same as for programming in general, then we can probably reject it as a good
idea that never caught the imagination of the masses. Is there something
special about stylesheets or XML transformations that means this style of
programming is particularly appropriate in this domain? Because I'd hate to
see everyone using DHTML simply because it requires less brainpower.)

Mike Kay