Re: release of FOP

Subject: Re: release of FOP
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:47:39 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: Didier PH Martin <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> b) We would have probably to convert from XSL Fos to actuals Mozilla Fos
> with FOP. This is quite different form the actual FOP behavior which is to
> convert from XSL Fos to PDF.

The PDF-specific parts of FOP will be separated enough in the version I'm
about to release that it would be relatively easy to incorporate other
output formats. FOP involves three stages:

1. building fully computed FO tree
2. converting fully computed FO tree to areas/spaces
3. converting areas/spaces to PDF

I am (currently) working on making it easier to have alternative output
formats by the area/space code only relying on a couple of interfaces rather
than the specific PDF implementation.

James