Re: XSL FO DTD problems

Subject: Re: XSL FO DTD problems
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:02:36 +0800
> The DTD in the XSL (FO) spec is not actually a complete nor a valid DTD.
We
> used (SGML) DTD-syntax to describe 2 things:
>   1.) The containment rules (How the tree is [may be] organized.)
>   2.) Where properties were USED in the tree.
>
> To be a proper DTD for validating the FO-Tree, it would be necessary to
> change item 2 to be where properties may be supplied (specified) in the
tree.

As a consumer of the spec, I would judge the existing DTD in the spec to be
principally for the benefit of implementors rather than stylesheet authors
or parsers (whether XML or SGML). In developing FOP, I found it *highly*
useful as a formal reference for the two items that Stephen Deach has
described above.

James