RE: result-ns (was RE: XSLT vs JSP)

Subject: RE: result-ns (was RE: XSLT vs JSP)
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:22:19 -0600
> >the result-ns attribute is used to direct the XSL
> >processor to produce other than XML.
>
> Yikes.  I still can't understand why anyone considers
> result-ns a good way to indicate what the result
> syntax should be, leaving it up to every XSL
> processor to keep a list of namespaces and provide
> code for supporting them.

What if you want your output to be a pretty picture in an obscure graphics
format, or synthesized speech, or a series of robotic control impulses out
your serial port, or some other output that is specific to your application
in your industry? Granted, it's unlikely that someone will write an XSL
processor that will generate such result tree interpretations without some
kind of plug-in architecture. But one might argue that the XSLT spec does
not need to go to great lengths to define such an architecture; it just
needs to define a way to hook into it. The result-ns is not bad, in that
respect, although I think a better, less confusing name could have been
chosen for the attribute itself.

-Mike