Re: XSLT vs JSP

Subject: Re: XSLT vs JSP
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:14:12 -0400 (EDT)
[Sebastian Rahtz]
> Chuck Robey writes:
>  > Troff (or groff, actually) is still being used to write books.
>  > That's too bad,
>
> why is that bad? what is wrong with using a high-quality, flexible,
> stable tool for the job?

Because doing anything but printing with it is a nightmare.  For the
forthcoming _Perl CD Bookshelf_ we had _Programming Perl_ in SGML; it
went on-line easily.  We had four books in Frame, relatively well-
tagged; we saved them as XML and then processed them into DocBook with
Perl.  Pretty easy.  _Perl in a Nutshell_ was in troff, and took more
time to convert for on-line use than the other books put together.

Yuck.

-Chris