Passive TeX: using TeX to format XSL Formatting Objects

Subject: Passive TeX: using TeX to format XSL Formatting Objects
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:36:36 +0000 (GMT)
I have placed some preliminary material on

  http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/passivetex/

which is the first public airing of an attempt to implement the XSL
specification relating to formatting objects. Having reaching the
stage where I can process the TEI Lite Guidelines with apparently
reasonable results, I thought it would be nice to show what can be
done.

This system works in two stages:

 a) apply an XSL stylesheet to the XML document and generate a new XML
    file containing XSL <fo:...  markup
 b) process that file with a special TeX (pdfTeX) format to generate a
    formatted PDF file

The idea plainly works; the difficulties come when you try to express
in TeX all the weird and wonderful things allowed for in XSL. I expect
to meet some of the same impasses that JadeTeX has found.

If some of the TEI community find this of interest, let me know which
features you need implementing to do something useful.

Sebastian Rahtz